Kate Spade introduced her younger sister — Kate Spade Saturday — to the world in June ’13, and she’s taking the Kate Spade “Live Colorfully” philosophy to a whole new level. Saturday is a younger, fresher, more casual and affordable brand perfect for a younger, fresher, more tech-savvy demographic.
Following its launch online, Saturday debuted a new retail concept that I believe may be the future of shopping. Think less brick and mortar and more window-shopping with an interactive twist.
With Manhattan as their test market, Kate Spade teamed with eBay to launch four digitally enhanced window shops on the island. The plated-glass windows showcase 30 Saturday items that don bright colors and curb appeal. Next to the window display is a large, iPad-like screen where the consumer can search, select and order items.
Why not just order online?
Here are the benefits:
- See the products’ true quality and color
- Orders are delivered free within one hour of placing your order
- The shop is open 24-hours per day
- The carrier waits for the consumer to be completely satisfied upon delivery before taking any payment
- Displays are ever-changing and can easily pop up in different locations
Pure marketing genius if you ask me. Too bad I don’t live in Manhattan where I can take a stroll down Orchard St. on my lunch break, pass the Saturday window shop, see a dress that would be perfect for my work event later that night and have my order delivered to the office before I return from lunch. A girl can dream right?
See the window shops in action in this video.