We all have that friend who constantly explodes your Facebook newsfeed with all of his/her status updates. Or that family member that spends dinner time tweeting. And if you’re really lucky, you have the pleasure of knowing someone that takes their phone into the restroom so they can update from the porcelain throne. Nice, right?
Many people have become obsessed with updating and tweeting to a point of addiction. In fact, in a study conducted by Retrevo Gadgetology found that 48% of the people surveyed check/update their Facebook or Twitter during the night or as soon as they wake up. The survey also found that 56% of users need to check their Facebook at least once a day and 12% need to check it every couple of hours.
In light of this information I have created a list of signs that might help you determine if you are a “Social Networking Addict:
- When a friend says something great, you say “I’m going to make that my new Facebook quote!”
- Your dialogue has been limited to 140 characters or less.
- You want a “like” button for all things in real life.
- You make sure you bring your camera to every event, not for memories, but so you can “Facebook” them.
- You quit your last job because they blocked sites like Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
- You’re meeting your @mom and @dad for dinner this evening.
- You buy a new cell phone so you can keep up with all of your social media apps.
- You dressed as the twitter bird for Halloween.
- If one of your status updates doesn’t get a comment or like, you feel you’ve been defeated.
- You’ve become better at Farmville and Mafia Wars than you are at your own real-life job.
- You spent an hour looking at pictures of a friend-of-a-friend, who’s a friend-of-a-friend.
- The Fail Whale sets off symptoms of a heart attack.
- After reading this blog you have decided that you are, in fact, addicted to social media and retweet this blog!
Be sure to share your results below or add to the list!